These are tongue twisters which gathered from many websites on the internet for students to practice pronunciation.
Practicing reading out loud tongue twisters is a fun and effective way to flourish your pronunciation as long as improving your speaking voice. It helps you to stretch and shape your organs of speech, helps develop pronunciation and speech patterns. Together with other vocal exercises, reading tongue twisters can help you have a clearer voice and reduce your mother accent when you speak English.
You will sound more native-like and will be understood easier. I suggest to write down your favorite tongue twisters on a piece of paper so it would be more convenient for you to analyze the sounds using IPA. It would be much better that you can learn them by heart and practice whenever you can. I have a habit reading tongue twister when I am ridding to work every day. It is fun. You should try too.
Tips: Speak out as loud as you can when you practice
A – Phrases and short sentences
- Irish wristwatch
- Sushi session
- Aluminum linoleum
- Willie’s really weary
- Red lorry, yellow lorry
- Specific Pacific
- Four fine fresh fish for you
- Eleven benevolent elephants
- He threw three free throws
- Nine nice night nurses nursing nicely
- Near an ear, a nearer ear, a nearly eerie ear
- A big black bear sat on a big black wood block
- Around the rugged rocks, the ragged rascal ran
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
- The soldier’s shoulder surely hurts.
- The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday.
- I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen
- If a dog chews shoes, whose shoes does he choose?
- Lesser leather never weathered wetter weather better
- Bradley’s big black bathbrush broke.
- Green glass globes glow greenly
- Roberta ran ring around the Roman ruins.
- Eve eating eagerly elegant Easter eggs.
- A proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot.
- If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
- Any noise annoys an oyster, but a noisy noise annoys an oyster most.
- Smelly shoes and socks shock sister
- Shave a single shingle thin
- The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.
[According to The Guinness Book of World Records this is the toughest tongue twister – so far.]
B – Paragraph
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn’t fuzzy, was he?
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
How many peppers did Peter Piper picked?
She sells seashells
She sells seashells by the seashore
The shells she sells are surely seashells
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I’m sure she sells seashells shells.
I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop.
Where she shines, she sits, and where she sits, she shines.
Bug and Bear
The big black bug
Bit the big black bear
And made the big black bear bleed blood
I’m not a pheasant plucker
I’m a pheasant plucker’s mate
And I’m only plucking pheasant
Cause the pheasant plucker’s late
She’s on the balcony
She stood on the balcony
Inexplicably mimicking him hiccuping
And amicably welcoming him home.
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if the woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
And chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.
I thought a thought
I thought a thought,
But the thought I thought wasn’t the thought I thought I thought.
If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought,
I wouldn’t have thought so much.
I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish,
but if you wish the wish the witch wishes,
I won’t wish the wish you wish to wish.
If one doctor doctors another doctor,
Then which doctor is doctoring the doctored doctor?
Does the doctor who doctors the doctor, doctor the doctor the way the doctor he is doctoring doctors?
Or does he doctor the doctor the way the doctor who doctors doctors?
Black background, brown background,
Brown background, black background,
Background background, black, black, brown, brown.
While we were walking, we were watching window washers wash Washington’s windows with warm washing water.
A flea and a Fly
A flea and a fly flew up in a flue.
Said the flea, “Let us fly!”
Said the fly, “Let us flee!”
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
You can also practice with more tongue twisters (with audio files) here: https://ivypanda.com/tongue-twisters-english
This website has a big compilation of tongue twisters from around the world. Thanks IvyPanda’s team.